Treasure, week 1 – Rusty Hutson – November 12, 2017
Scripture describes the Kingdom of God as this treasure that when you find it is beyond compare.
Mark 12:41-44 – “Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts. 42 But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a few cents. 43 Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, this poor widow has put more into the treasury than all the others. 44 They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of her poverty, put in everything—all she had to live on.”
GOD MEASURES OUR GIFT BY WHAT WE HAVE LEFT FOR OURSELVES.
The sacrifice, the trust, the faith to give above what made sense is what honors the Lord.
A living example of Matthew 6:31-34
Things to Remember about Misplaced Treasure:
1. Money is a terrible master – it enslaves when it is primary.
- Luke 16:13 – “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.”
2. Earthly Treasures will go away
- The things we accumulate will eventually disappear. When has more money or stuff ever brought lasting JOY and PEACE into anyone’s life?
3. Giving is God’s Way of helping us protect our heart
- God did not need her money, but she needed to give.
- 2 Corinthians 8:1-5 – And now, brothers and sisters, we want you to know about the grace that God has given the Macedonian churches. 2 In the midst of a very severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. 3 For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability. Entirely on their own, 4 they urgently pleaded with us for the privilege of sharing in this service to the Lord’s people. 5 And they exceeded our expectations: They gave themselves first of all to the Lord, and then by the will of God also to us.
“HOW MUCH DOES IT TAKE TO TRULY BE HAPPY???”