Rooted in the Gospel, week 4 – Rusty Hutson – April 29, 2018
Human beings are inherently drawn to the struggle of good vs. evil, and we all desperately long for the hero to save the day and defeat the enemy. The hero is always characterized by selfless sacrifice.
The Hero of the Gospel story, the Good News of God, is Jesus
Philippians 2:5-11 – The Kingdom works in an upside down manner
Christ’s humility, obedience to death, even death on a cross. Jesus descends to the pit that the Father might lift him up.
Why does the Cross of Christ matter for us?
- It is Our Bridge. We could not cross the chasm our sin has created between us and God. A perfect sacrifice was required.
- 1 John 4:10 – Christ was the “atoning sacrifice” –> the means of making amends and restoration, taking the sins of a guilty world.
- Galatians 3:13 – he became a curse that we might have his life.
- It is our Brand. The cross is the symbol that “distinguishes between any and all other” beliefs, religions. It is how people see the people of God.
- John 3-16-17 – it is because of the cross of Christ, and the gift of love that it is to all who believe, that the son has come to save and not condemn.
- It is our Blessing. We are favored by God, loved by him, and in him is everything that is good, true, and right
- When you bless someone in the name of God, you are wishing all of the goodness of God to them.
- “Only in the Cross of Christ will we find peace for our troubled hearts.” Michael Yussef
What does the Cross mean to me?