Rooted in the Gospel, week 1 – Rusty Hutson – April 8, 2018
Psalm 1:1-3 – a tree planted by streams of water and yield its fruit in season due to its “delight in the law.”
Misunderstanding, or mistrust in the person/character of God, often the root of our fruit of this world and our flesh.
What is the Gospel?
“Euangelion” – Greek – “the Good News.”
If you are going to understand the good news you have to understand this progression:
- God – everything begins and ends with God in order to understand the story of God, or the “good news.”
- Us – we were made in his image, but that image was broken by sin, and the wages of sin is death/permanent separation from God.
- Jesus Christ – God sent his Son to be an acceptable sacrifice – the King of kings willing to lay down his life for his people.
- Response – in light of what Jesus has done, we must respond to him.
- and the only appropriate response is REPENTANCE and BELIEF.
What does it mean to be “Rooted in the Gospel?”
- if you sow in the flesh, you will reap destruction
- if you saw in the Spirit, you will reap eternal life.
ways to stay rooted –> Read the Word and Remain in Community.
Today, take an honest assessment of where you are and resolve to deal with the painful/wrong places in your heart and mind.
Psalm 139:1-6. “God, you know me better than I know myself.”
Psalm 139:23-24. “Lord lead me in the way everlasting.”