Jonah, week 4 – Rusty Hutson, March 11, 2018
Jonah 3 – The word of the Lord came to Jonah a second time…
1. Jonah Gets a “sheni”
- “sheni” – Hebrew: second chance.
- You were lost, Jonah, but now you have been found.
- The sun has risen today and you have another chance to listen and obey.
2. Jonah Chooses Obedience
- He finally hands over all control to God.
- We, like Jonah, tend to treat God as the passenger in the car with us, only asking for help in emergencies or when we are lost –> but shouldn’t God be the driver and we sit in the passenger seat?
- Deuteronomy 6:18
- Proverbs 6:23
3. God Uses Jonah for the Salvation of Others
- There are so many who do not yet know God, and the days are short.
- Matthew 28:19
4. God Chooses Mercy
- God saw their repentance and he chose to be merciful
- God’s mercy cannot be exhausted
- His mercy is new everyday
- Blessed are the merciful
- Luke 18:13 – “God have mercy on me, a sinner.”