UPDATE: FS-13 was a huge success!
During the month of December over 31,000 pounds of food was collected as part of FoodStock 2013! That’s more than 15 and a half tons of canned vegetables, fruits, pasta, rice, fruit juice and peanut butter. On January 5, we gathered together as a community for the “Big Sort”. Dates were checked, items were sorted and everything was boxed back up for shipping. After that about 200 volunteers loaded up their cars and trucks and made a special Saturday delivery to the Food Bank.
Thank you again to everyone who played a part in this project in support of the Food Bank of East Alabama and their mission to fight hunger. A special thanks to our local partners: The Irish Bred Pub, TheRailyard, Standard Deluxe, and Martha’s Trouble.
Throughout the month of December, we will be collecting boxes of food that we will then use to stock the shelves of the Food Bank of East Alabama. If you would like to be a part of this opportunity to serve others, here’s what you need to do:
- Grab a box! Beginning Sunday, December 2, you can pick up an empty box with the checklist of items to purchase at Lee-Scott and Hamilton Road on Sunday mornings and at Hamilton Road during office hours.
- Fill the box! Follow the guidelines on the checklist (see list below) for what you should pack in the box. Read the back side of the checklist card and pray about making a commitment to serve at a local agency such as the Food Bank of East Alabama.
- Return the box and the commitment card! You can return the filled box on any Sunday in December to either site, or you can drop it off at Hamilton Road during office hours. Return your commitment card at one of our Christmas Eve services.
- Stock the shelves on January 5, 2013! Everyone will meet at Hamilton Road at 8am to unpack and sort the food, then load up and caravan over to The Food Bank to deliver the food. Families are welcome.
Here is a list of items recommended for each box. However, you are welcome to buy any quantity of an item, as long as that item is on the list. If you buy the items before you’ve picked up a box, no problem. Just bring your items to the church after December 2, and we will box it for you. If you would like to donate a box of food in honor of someone, you can pick up a gift box at the welcome desk at both Hamilton Road and Lee-Scott sites on Sunday mornings after you turn in your box of food. If you have any other questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
(1) Jar of Peanut Butter, Big or Small(2-4) Canned Meats, Chicken, Tuna, Vienna Sausage, etc.(3-4) Canned Soups or Stews(1) Bottle or Can of 100% Fruit Juice(2-3) Canned Fruits(3-4) Canned Vegetables(2-3) Boxes of Macaroni & Cheese Dinners(1) Box of Pasta, Spaghetti, Shells, etc.(1-2) Bags of Rice, 2 Small Bags or 1 Big Bag(1) Container of Instant Oatmeal or Grits