May is such an exciting time of year! The weather is gorgeous, the flowers are beautiful. We get to celebrate Mother’s Day (loved the #cornerstonemoms photo booth pictures) and get to celebrate graduations as seniors take some of the biggest steps they’ll ever take! Sunday, May 17, during the 10:30 am services at Hamilton Road and Lee-Scott sites we will recognize the graduating High School Seniors!
One of my favorite traditions at Cornerstone Church is the way we celebrate baptisms. Last Sunday, May 3, was a special day indeed, as we celebrated with 16 youth and five children proclaiming and confirming their faith in Jesus Christ. No doubt, the baptism water was refreshing, as were the smiles of joy on the faces of those whom we celebrated coming to know Jesus more personally.
The 16 Youth completed a journey through Confirmation with the Baptism Celebration. During this six week course, the youth were challenged to thoughtfully consider the questions all members are asked when they join Cornerstone Church. During the class sessions, faithful mentors met with the youth in small groups to equip them as the youth processed the material and encouraged the youth to ask further clarifying questions. These are the questions that they very confidently affirmed:
1. Do you renounce the spiritual forces of wickedness, reject the evil powers of the world, and repent of your sin?
2. Do you accept the freedom and power that God gives you to resist evil, injustice, and oppression in whatever forms they present themselves?
3. Do you confess Jesus Christ as your Savior, put your whole trust in his grace, and promise to serve Him as your Lord, in union with the Church, which Christ has opened to people of all ages, nations and races?
4. As members of this congregation, will you faithfully participate in its ministries by your prayers, your presence, your gifts, and your service?
5. Do you affirm that Jesus Christ is your Lord and Savior?
You may be interested to know more about these questions and the way in which you can more deeply know and serve Jesus in the community God has provided you at Cornerstone Church. I encourage you take your next step in faith. Feel free to contact me at the church office (334-887-1152) or via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to help you make that step. (By the way, the next Baptism Celebration is Sunday, August 30!)
To see more photos of the Baptism Celebration, go here.